Friday, March 13, 2009

What a Day!!

Feb 27, 2009 Things are much different as of today. It started out like any other doctor's appt day. We had the early morning appt, which was good because Adam needed to come back and sleep so he can work overnight tonight. We had the ultrasound first. The babies looked great. They are definitely living in some cramped quarters, but their weights and measurements are great. Only Baby B has dropped off a little with his/her size/weight. Baby A #2lb7oz. Baby B #2lb 2oz. Baby C and Baby D #2lb9oz. That was great news. Then they did the cervical ultrasound and I could see a difference right away just from looking at the screen. It was much different than my last ultrasound. I guess my cervix isn't as tough as I thought after all. We could see Baby A sitting right there on my cervix, and he/she had their hand on top of their head. Hopefully trying to hold himself in. I knew right away that I was looking at bed rest. I had been working myself up to hearing this for the last 2 wks. Honestly, I was feeling quite tired and my belly is feeling very heavy when I'm up. I figured it would be for the best anyway. I knew I was in trouble when the nurse went to get a wheelchair just for me to walk down the hall to the exam room to see the doctor. When the doctor came in, she checked my cervix and gave me quite a shock. She said that I was dilated to 1cm, 25% effaced and she could feel the babies head. HOSPITAL BED REST!!! Oh no, that is definitely not what I wanted to hear. I was not mentally prepared. I started crying. Adam told me it was for the best and he would feel much better knowing I was at the hospital--especially with him being away at work so much. After reaching my room, I was placed on the toco monitor--to measure contractions. Well, I was contracting every 1 minute, but only feeling them every 5 minutes or so. So, my doctor came down and looked and told me I had to go to Labor and Delivery for closer monitoring and to start the meds to stop my contractions. Adam had gone home to get some clothes and toiletries items for me. I called and let him know I was in a different room. I was a little nervous at this point. It was too early, and I wanted the babies to stay in a little longer. I got my IV, blood draw, monitor was hooked up. Then I was given the steroids to help the babies lungs develop a little quicker. Also, IV antibiotics as a prophylactic. Adam had called my mom and his mom and a few friends to let them know what was going on. Of course, my mom informed me that she and Bob were headed up as soon as she got out of work. Not necessary I tried to tell her, but she wouldn't listen. I just feel bad for Adam. He had to go to work with no sleep. Mom and Bob got up around 8pm. I'm doing fine. Contractions are slowing a little. Babies are still doing good. Hopefully they'll be able to get me out of Labor and Delivery tomorrow am and back to the antepartum unit to wait a few more wks. I'm very thankful to have made it this far without bed rest or hospital admission. I am trying to remember that. Plus, everything I do now is so that our babies can have the best outcome possible. I prayed tonight and asked God to please let them stay inside for a few more wks. I feel confident that He is in control, and it is very possible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment