Saturday, January 3, 2009

First Scare

Oct 1, 2008 Our first scare in the pregnancy came early. I woke up around 4 am with excruciating pain that was causing me to be sick and sweaty and feel the worst pain I've experienced. Sometimes being in the medical field is not that much of a blessing. All I could think of was, oh no--I'm having an ectopic pregnancy--meaning it is not in the uterus but in the tubes--meaning surgery and mostly--not a viable pregnancy. I tried to tough it out for about 30 minutes because I knew Adam had to go to work at 6am and I didn't want to wake him up. Eventually, I called for him and we had to decide what to do. I paged my doctor around 6am and he asked if I could make it to the office--Adam had gone to work--as I decided I would be okay by myself. The pain at this point was lasting for approx 35 minutes and then subsiding and then returning. I called my mom on the way to the doctor's office--crying of course--and scared that after this great news, I was going to lose this baby! I prayed the whole way there and asked her to pray also. My doctor did a bedside US and looked at both of my tubes--thinking as I had about an ectopic pregnancy. However, he told me that there were 4 gestational sacs and the tubes were clear. (He did find a baseball sized ovarian cyst--maybe the source of the pain.) He saw 2 babies with heartbeats and 1 empty sac and 1 questionable sac. I was thrilled. We were having twins!!! What wondeful news. I asked him if I still needed to come in on Oct6th for my scheduled US, and I'll never forget what he said. "There's a lot that could change in 5 days." Seriously, what could change in 5 days. We're having twins!! I called Adam and told him the good news, my pain was not an ectopic and we were having twins!! (As for the pain, I had forgotten all about it at that point and was so thrilled to have seen 2 heartbeats.) I updated my mom after talking to Adam and then went home to relax. I only had one other episode of pain and just chalked it up to that big cyst. Twins--How exciting. Oh well, we'll get more pictures of the babies on Monday---or so I thought:)

No comments:

Post a Comment